Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Ex-Drug Dealer Ricky Ross Pushing Indie Film About His Life



“Freeway” Ricky Ross
After shopping his story to major movie houses in Hollywood, “Freeway” Ricky Ross, has decided to go independent.
“I’ve met with almost everyone in Hollywood,” said Ross, who was a mastermind of the crack-cocaine trade in Los Angeles in the 1980s. “All of them wanted to do the story but they didn’t want to pay me. I don’t think that they really respect my value or the value of my story.”
The former drug pusher (real name: Donnell Ross) was a key figure in the documentary “American Drug War: The Last White Hope” and was featured in the first season of BET’s “American Gangster” series. Now Ross says he wants to tell the story his way.
Following his release in 2009 after serving 20 years in prison, Ross teamed up with Nick Cassavetes, an Emmy-award winning actor and writer who has penned the scripts for “Alpha Dog,” “Blow” and other films.
The two first met at a Walmart in San Diego, where Ross was living at a halfway house following his release from prison. Cassavetes said he had first learned of Ross following the late Gary Webb’s 1996 series called “Dark Alliance,” published by the San Jose Mercury News.
At the height of his drug career, Ross says he was moving about 100 kilos of coke every day. On average, he says he sold $2 million to $3 million a week.
“I want to present all sides of what actually happened,” said Cassavetes of the movie. “Not hearsay. Not rhetoric or hysteria. I want to let the audience decide whose to blame if anyone.”
While the autobiographical film will present a man operating outside of the law, causing havoc in largely African-American communities, Cassavetes says the movie will also explore the political ramifications of his actions.
Though Ross hasn’t yet asked Cassavetes to direct the motion picture, the filmmaker said he wants in. “If and when they come to me to direct, I’ll be there with bells on,” he said.
The script, which is in its final stages, will be complete before Christmas, said Cassavetes. Produced in conjunction with Geno Taylor and Apocalypto films, shooting of the film is tentatively set to begin in April. Cassavetes says he hopes the movie will be in theaters sometime next year.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even if you have "switched lanes", you should not be allowed to prosper from your crimes. Period. If you had not ravaged the US with your crack empire, you wouldn't have a movie to peddle.

Now, if you want to make an anti-drug movie that does not include your crimes and infamy, maybe that's different.

Anonymous said...

I thnk itz a great idea ta do a movie.....ppl make mistakes n as long as they learn from those mistakes n try ta make a difference thn they deserve ta "prosper" from telln their story which includes the bad. God let's ppl go threw n experience thngs for a reason just remember ta do wut u do fo tha right reasons. Don't eva let the haterz discourage u from doin wut u need ta do ta make up fo ur past wrong doings. U hav chosen not ta get caught up in dat mess but instead try n help fix it.....I dnt care bout wut erbody else thnx...I appreciate it wen ppl who have ben threw sumthing come out n speak bout it in hopes ta make a differance in ppls lives.

Anonymous said...

Hey I'm a ex crack addict and the I look at it is any one and every one is entitled. To fresh a start in life I've been clean off of crack for a year now before I got clean I had been on crack for 5 years and thought I wasn't worthy of a better life but now I believe. I deserve a better life so weather ur a addict or the dealer u can change ur life for the good just so u all know my dealer is the one that told me if u wanna quit u need to remember. This its all bout the people the places and things u allow in ur life and he was right as soon as I cut those things out of my life I got my act together and quit smoking crack and I said I been clean now for a year and I'm still goin strong nothing is goin to stand in my way of happiness so rick Ross good luck with all ur future endeavours and I think making a movie of ur life is a great idea cuz It could help the youths. Of America realize that selling drugs and using. Drugs isn't. A life at all so good luck

David Marrero said...

Looking forward to it.... good stuff

Brad said...

Just watched your 2006 documentary "Freeway Ricky Ross." really enjoyed it. You have lived an interesting life. I would want to see your movie.

Anonymous said...

Your an idiot..if that's your view then the whole American government should be in.jail for profiting from there negative impact on the communitys there suppos to help.

Anonymous said...

They should make a movie.

Myra said...

I would love too play one of your girlfriends in the movie!! When they ready too make the movie email me at keisha3311@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Can't wait till the movie come out much love and respect stay positive an make a difference an a positive impact on the community and the youth there the future.....

Unknown said...

http://itsmyurls.com/freewayrickross

Anonymous said...

Call Ms Jose 903-439-3105 you might remember me from Avalon and Coldon, Bryant Trucking the smart controller, lol......Call Me






Lawrence. D. Hughes said...

Im from Baltimore md , and I've watch Mr Gary webs movie and also your documentary in which they should make a movie and because it will be very interested I just wouldn't mind being in that movie so them from the streets. Name. Lawrence D. Hughes, 1718 Ruxton ave. Baltimore Md 21216 please give me call. No acting skills just Street knowledge.

Unknown said...

Just saw your the documentary .It was amazing.Thank you for sharing your story. There is so much glorification of drugs and violence. Glad you are here to share your story.The real Rick Ross is not a Rapper."Can't nobody stop you" Blessing brother

Ennovyme@blogspot.com said...

I read a book called "Freakonomics" A Rogue Economist Explores The Hidden Side of everything. The book touched of Danilo Blandon and how he basically is responsible for bringing drugs and guns into our country. I then watched the movie Kill the Messenger, and recently your Documentary. A leopard never changes its spots, The Government hasn't changed. Their still up to the dirty tricks. I find myself in the mist of a scandal involving the City, State, Banks, and Government doing dirty deeds. I'm in the mist of it, but my hands are clean. They have been coming after me very viciously. They have tried to shut me down. I'm still here. You have inspired me and I would like to share my story with you. I would also like to reach out to you to invite you to our city to speak to our youth about your life. May the Lord continue to bless you. Hope to hear from you soon.

Unknown said...

Is there a movie out yet there should really be one I listen to rick Ross and as soon as I found he got his name from you I as so surprise and had to see how the real rick Ross did in life made millions got fucked over really bad that's bull shit you had 20 years. I do have one question if you would answer back. Sid you ever snitch?

Unknown said...

Is there a movie out yet there should really be one I listen to rick Ross and as soon as I found he got his name from you I as so surprise and had to see how the real rick Ross did in life made millions got fucked over really bad that's bull shit you had 20 years. I do have one question if you would answer back. Sid you ever snitch?

Music said...

Instagram: BlueBenji843

Facebook: Charles Benji Wilds

Twitter: @ThatWildsBoy

Anonymous said...

Who ever wrote that comment is a fool living in a narrow close minded box who is blind to reality and society's ways fuck rules there are no rules in the game world how ever you view it point is everyone has a path and story or way to success who ever wrote that comment sounds like a sheltered person or person of the side I hate the 1%

George Sharon said...

True story, I'm one of the people who have benefited from Dr. Ogbeifun Love Spell. Dr. Ogbeifun appeared in the middle of my life when all hope was lost. I gave up on life and thought the best way to care for my broken heart. I have several experiences with my husband who have been working with me for many years. I made up my mind to continue with my suicide before a strange spirit. Afterwards, Dr. Ogbeifun Temple, I reluctantly looked for and found testimonials and recommendations for him via his email. He answered and asked me to go away and take my life; he said that my case is solvable after consulting his Oracle. Well, here I am today thanking Dr. Ogbeifun for saving my life and bringing back my Husband. We are so happy today and happier than we have ever been. He also helped me stop my cardiac arrest problem. I am grateful for being among the people sharing this testimony. Contact him at this email ogbefunhearlingtemple@gmail.com call or add him on whatsapp +2348102574680 website