Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Game is Not a Game

First of all, no one should ever sell drugs. Those who do must be totally aware of the consequences; a long prison sentence or a man-made grave. Believe me when I tell you that you can't win in the drug game. The only winners are the judge, lawyers, prisons, and other peripherally related authorities that benefit from our ignorance. 

When a man or woman decides to sell drugs, they become a victim without even knowing. So many people get caught up into the fast life of fame and fortune, but most times it's just an illusion. In America, so many Black people are captured and put into the prison system at every "legal" opportunity. The truth is, we are our own worst enemy. These are the facts: there are just six million black men in this country... and 17 percent of them are behind bars. That means that 17 percent of black men can't vote and make a difference. Of the 2.1 million individuals that are locked up, over 500,000 are African-American men between the ages of 20 and 39; the number of black women in prison is steadily rising too. The drug game is not a game at all - it's a pathway to prison or death. 

I think that changes in the law, like the recent "Crack Law" guideline recalculations, are a step in the right direction. This system still isn't right, but it gives me hope that there can be positive change. The answer to crime in our nation can't be to lock everyone up for so many years that they no longer have the ability to function in society. We lock up more people--percentage wise--in the United States than in Russia or China. That is a staggering figure. They say now that 1 in every 100 people are locked up in federal prison, and if you factor in State prisons as well, you get a number like 1 in 33. Think about that. Is this the America you want your children growing up in? It's important to stay on top of the news in your area. Be a part of politics instead of just being on the sidelines as the climate revolves around you. Positive change can only come if we all participate. 

We must find other avenues to reach the fame and fortune that so many of us crave, and that starts and ends with proper education. When a person sells another person drugs, they're also selling their humanity. Not only are you helping to destroy another person, or someone else's loved ones, but you're destroying part of yourself in the process. In order for our beautiful black race to succeed we must put down the drugs, put away the guns, and start picking up books, computers, and any of the many educational opportunities that are out there. Most importantly, we must reconnect with the family. Since the start of the 80's crack era, the black family has been in its worst shape ever. So many black fathers were killed or sent away to prison to serve lengthy state and federal sentences. While leaving their wives and children alone, without a father figure, mentor, or leader. Once again, no one should sell drugs. It's the introduction to death. Your own!

As one of the biggest drug dealers ever, I personally caused so much pain to myself and others that it's difficult, when I look back, to make sense of it all. It is something that I will regret for the rest of my life. 

The hurt and pain that I caused my mother is one of the worst feelings that I've ever felt. All the years of being away from my children is time that I'll never get to replace. Selling drugs brought me the fame and fortune, but it also brought me a great deal of guilt, pain, sadness, separation from loved ones, and loneliness. It bought me nice cars, beautiful women, expensive clothes and jewelry; it also got me a life sentence in federal prison. Thankfully, that was later reduced to 20 years. I've seen so many of my friends lose their lives or get sent to prison for 20, 30, 40 year, or life sentences. It's not a game. It's a reality. 

My advise is: In order to succeed and reach your full potential, you must think first before you take any action. It took getting a life sentence in prison for me to find out who Ricky Ross truly is. I had a chance to look back on my whole life and what I saw was not a drug kingpin from L.A., but a strong black man that was determined to succeed by any means necessary. The time and effort that I put into the drug game could have been spent doing something legal. Eventually it would have bought me the same type of success. 

My current projects involve helping young up-and-coming rappers, singers, producers, artists, and authors to reach their goals. For more information, they can check out my web site at www.freewayenterprise.com. I'm also excited about my soon to be released novel, "Black Scarface," co-written with my friend, Jimmy DaSaint.  Look out for my future movie project about my life. I also have an autobiography that will be released in the near future and am starting a recording label. Right now I am looking for the best and brightest young artist to help me kick off the label. For more details about me and all of my future projects, please go to my web site, or write to me personally at www.freewayenterprise.com, or:

Ricky Ross 
05550-045 
F.C.I. 
P.O. Box 7000 
Texarkana, TX. 75505 

1 comment: