Friday, May 23, 2008

Life in Prison (Part 1)

Recently I was asked how prison life is. I started to shoot off the top of my head how I felt; if I have not learned anything else, I've learned to think before I react. So I have been pondering this for over a week and I can say that I associate with some sharp cats. Even though we read pretty much the same books, we all have different opinions on a number of things which really helps to gather all of these different views. I think of it much like a think-tank. We are all from different parts of the country. Most have been involved with drugs in one form or another. Some are here for bank robbery, ex-felon with firearms, but they all have a unique story to tell, some have spent the majority of their lives in prison. As for myself, I am 48 years old and have spent a total of 19 years here in prison.  It's great to hear from people on the outside.  I received an interesting letter yesterday that I would like to share with you. I get letters similar to this all of the time and I do my best to reach out and help them all. I won't use this man's name without his permission, I just thought I would share it with you. 


Dear Mr. Ross, 

My name is.... I live in Ypsilanti, Michigan. I am a 29 year old black male who wants to get out of the streets, better myself, take care of my family and go after my dreams so that I can be all that I can be. I recently read your artical that was in Ozone magazine. I was very inspired by the things you had to say about the things that are destroying people, families, and society. So much you talked about hit home for me and the way my life and decisions I made have been so far. I have a lot of respect for you and I admire the way you take responsibility and have turned your life around and now you are reaching out to educate and to help other people do the same thing. I am ready to do that too. 

I have dreams of starting my own record label too. Right now I am working with 4 artists who have a lot of talent and deserve a chance to make it in the industry and life itself. We call our label to be "Drop the Bag" Entertainment. Our music has a variety of Rap and R and B. We write lyrics and create our music and beats and share it with mostly local people. We are told that we are pretty good too. Thats why I am writing to you on behalf of our artists and asking for your help. I know you know how hard it is for rappers and singers both men and women to get backing. Some have so much talent and a lot know most of the time it goes to waste because our resources are so slim. 

I would like to be a part of what you are trying to do. I have also been through a lot of ups and downs, struggles, bad decisions, and disappointments. I have done wrong out there, slipped up on my responsibilities, and I am tired of it all. Just fed up with not doing the right thing. I lost my father when I was 8 years old. I have 5 beautiful kids and I want the best for them. My mother is the strongest woman I know. She raised me well and I want to also make her proud of me. It really hit my heart knowing you are apart from your loved ones, I don't think I could handle that. 

I am ready to take a chance on myself and step out and step up to the plate and be a man. My dreams in the music industry are something I have had for a long time. I want to see how far I can go, I'm reaching for the top. 

I feel like I would be a good candidate for what you are trying to do. I want to work with you as a team player in order to get your label and ours going as well as making an impact on our community. We are loyal and willing to go over and above. We are ready to get to work for real. 

What do I have to do to become a part of your dream? Can you help us with ours? I am willing to come meet you face to face to talk about it if you like. Please consider letting us work with you. Please think about it and write back so we can get this going. Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I really appreciate it. 

Thank You, Peace and Love 

2 comments:

Freedom Allah said...

Peace to the brother in Michigan.

I am Brother Freedom and I am promoting a book called How to Hustle and Win. The book officially drops in a few weeks but you can order it now at HustleandWin.com

Check out the page and add us on Myspace (http://myspace.com/hustlewin)

It has a lot of information in it, it may be just what you are looking for....Brother Ricky Ross is mentioned in the book, he actually has a copy of it and has said "How to Hustle and Win is a powerful book that every hustler, male or female should pick up and read. Not only is the book inspirational, but it will also enlighten the minds of our trapped and confused youth."

Real talk. Stay up.

El Blog De Pedro said...

Very nice postt